e_phemerart: (passion)
[personal profile] e_phemerart

First and second practice heads. Lol, I think I had the stretch going opposite ways and that accounts for head shape differences, besides any head done in this technique is going to be unique, due to stuffing and tension of the sculpting stitches. Think I like the first head a little better, with the more bulbous nose, and its not quite so angular as the second.  A little plumpness will go better with the body shape too. However, you can see on the second how lower set eyes (in this case drawn and couched) look better; definitely will have to recess and inset the ball eyes. Feeling better overall about my abilities.

Recieved the acrylic eyes I ordered for the doll; that was quick. Just pinned them in to get an idea of how they'll look.(first photo on left) Lol, I will be careful with actually positioning them so she won't look quite as wall-eyed as here, and you can tell I used two different shades of stockings as the eyelids here as well. May either have to sink the eye sockets a bit more or slit them to insert the eyes, so they don't pop and stick out quite so much. But with that, along with shaping the eyelids and adding lashes and brows, I think the eyes will work fine.

Going to have to see what kind of lycra fabric I can find, and probably buy a couple small quantities. I am just not convinced of the durability of the nylon hosiery. Darn having to buy online without being able to see or feel the actual fabric. Sharon sugested a 2 way stretch t shirt knit. But it all depends on what I can find available. may have to self dye if I can't find a good nude flesh tone- that's important to getting the right look. Guess I could practice faces some more or switch over to pattern making for the body now.

I picked up some different batting and poly fill yesterday from JoAnns. (who is currently having a 50% off such sale; I'd ordered a big box of polyfil from elsewhere because JoAnns didnt have the 10lb size in stock, but got the same price and discount). Anyway, the new filling is called a "Dry polyester packing" and is almost tacky to the touch, meaning it won't move and shift like the regular poly fill. That makes it good for firming and shaping the features such as the nose. The batting is also somewhat "dry" compared to the regular; I used it almost like a fabric to sew and  then stuff the base head form. Will probably use a combination of fills in the doll; regular stuffing for the large areas of the body and the dry for detailing the face and hands.

Also emailed Mr. Sopko (Andy) and sent him photos of the sample head to get his imput and to see if I'm headed in the right direction of what he wants.

Later: Got a reply back from Andy. He said: "Wow, Wow, wow!" :) So That means I am on the right track of things as far as pleasing the customer.
Anonymous( )Anonymous This account has disabled anonymous posting.
OpenID( )OpenID You can comment on this post while signed in with an account from many other sites, once you have confirmed your email address. Sign in using OpenID.
Account name:
If you don't have an account you can create one now.
HTML doesn't work in the subject.


Notice: This account is set to log the IP addresses of everyone who comments.
Links will be displayed as unclickable URLs to help prevent spam.


e_phemerart: (Default)

January 2017

1 2 3 4 567
8 9 10 11 1213 14
1516 17 18 192021

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 23rd, 2017 12:23 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios